Monday, October 1, 2012

Managing Athletics & Academics



I had a very busy week so it was really hard to fit in the video project but I managed to just keep my camcorder with me everywhere I went. If I ever had free time, I would just go and get some interviews done. The topic I chose to do my project on is managing athletics and academics. I thought this would be a good topic because there are a lot of student athletes at Southern and I’ve only been a student athlete for a month here and find it hard to fit in academics sometimes. You are just so busy throughout the day with practices and lifts that your dead tired when it comes to sitting down and getting some work done.
            I interviewed both my coaches and got some information on how to get it done in the classroom by sitting in the front of the class and asking questions. I also wanted people who saw the video to understand what is expected of us as student athletes and that it isn’t all just fun and games. The next people I interviewed were two freshman athletes and two upperclassmen athletes. I wanted to get the perspective of being a student athlete as a freshman so far and what they struggle with. Lone behold the essence of time was the initial response followed up by the importance of the mandatory table study where you sit down and really grind out work. The upperclassmen had a much different perspective responding by saying that you need to get work done in whatever free time you have rather than going off and doing other things. Sometimes though that can be really hard to do when your entire team is going somewhere to do something.
            I actually had a lot of fun making the video because I’m not familiar with the iMovie software that is on my Mac. I had a lot of technical issues that I needed to go online and look up to solve. I even struggled with getting the clips off my camcorder onto iMovie. Luckily my dad knows an individual in his I.T. department named Sam who was able to give a helping hand. Overall though once I figured out all the nuances of iMovie it was a lot of fun. I still want to know how you can make text slides because that would have been a lot easier than using title slides and consolidating text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment