Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Whata' ya know, half way done!


Midterms came out and I ended up doing very well. I got an A in Math, B+ INQ, A Web Technology, and an A in Anthropology. The only midterm that I can’t get at the moment is my Spanish midterm because my teacher has been busy and can’t release them yet. Overall, I am very happy with my success so far in the first semester. I have always been a pretty good student in school getting work done and studying for tests so I wasn’t that worried about it when the grades actually came out. I think though that people get way to caught up in the semantics regarding college. Everyone says that the first semester is always the hardest for incoming freshman. I think though that is just a poor excuse to set yourself up for failure. If you go into something with a negative attitude you are less likely to find success. I never really went into the semester initially expecting anything less than my very best.
            I think a lot of my success also had to do with how busy I was with athletics leaving less time to get actuall work done. It really helps in the regard that it allows you to really acknowledge what needs to be done so you can plan according and knuckle down to get the work done. I have to admit though also that a lot of my success stemmed from the mandatory academic study hall for first year student athletes. During those five hours a week, I have more than enough time to get a majority of my work done. Of course, it isn’t enough time to get the studying done for tests and some assignments that pop up every now and then, but it definitely gives you the chance to really apply yourself to your studies. A lot of the student athletes complain about the study hall saying that it is cramped and it is impossible to stay for the minimum hour and a half, but I have a funny feeling if you asked them what led to their success thus far this semester it would be because of that study hall. I think the hardest thing now is staying strong until the end of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment