Monday, October 15, 2012

Subtle Differences...


            For the first part of the academic semester, I am actually doing very well. I haven’t had any problem with my classes as far as handing work in on time, or completing work to the best of my ability. A lot of people said that college is very difficult in the first semester and that new students usually find it very difficult adjust from their high school. This may be true for some students, but I think that because of the fact I came from a college prep school, I have a true understanding of what it takes to really make it in college. Coming from a school where teachers don’t hold your hand, and you are given a syllabus on day one to complete each semester, you really understand how to manage your time and get your work done.
            I’ve found that managing my time was actually harder in high school than in college so far. When you are kept busy during the day in high school to keep students out of trouble because they board with things like forums, formal dinner, chapel talks, playing sports every season, to a required two hour study hall every night of the week, school on Saturday, and lights at eleven every night. I’ve come to realize that college has been a breeze so far besides my athletic commitment. That isn’t to say of course that I have a ton of free time because I don’t. I have classes all morning every day of the week and then athletics taking up my entire afternoon with practice, inters quads, and lifts. I just think I have more time at night in order to get everything done that I need to.
            I think the fact that the extra free time at night I’ve had has definitely helped my academic success. I don’t feel stressed out when it comes to meeting deadlines and studying for tests. It is unequivocally clear that this extra free time I’ve had is reflected in my grades because at Millbrook I more or less maintained straight B’s and from time to me got and A. That is to say also that I feel Millbrook definitely expected a lot more their students academically than I have felt at Southern. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact thought that I’m taking general courses so far and less that actually have to do with my major.

No comments:

Post a Comment