Monday, October 22, 2012

I like the color blue


There is a piece of artwork that I see often is in the building called “Jennings” because I have to go there every week for academic study hall. The piece was created in 1986 by the professor of art as SCSU. Every time I walk through the building, I always look at the mural. I like the mural for several reasons. One of the reasons I like the mural is because it has so much going on in it. It has a sense of mystery associated with it because I can’t tell or even understand some of the things that are going on in the mural. The second reason I like the mural is because I really like the color blue. I’m often allured to anything with the color blue from clothing, sports teams, etc. I think the last reason I like the mural is because of the fact that I find the ocean calm, and tranquil so it kind of relaxes me.
            When I initially looked at the mural, I honestly wasn’t really sure what to think of it. I initially thought it was just a neat depiction of undersea life. Now that I’m asked to analyze it, I’ve come to the conclusion that the mural kind of represents the building that it’s hung in. “Jennings” kind of revolves around the study of the sciences whether it be physics, biology, or microbiology. When I think of the ocean, I kind of think about the biology of environmental science because of a class I took in high school.
            After thinking about the mural though I found a piece of signage that presents what the mural is actually trying to depict. The signage says, “It represents stages in human development: From left to right. The emergence of life from under the sea: The discovery of microbiology: The exploration of space.” I didn’t quite understand the exploration of space portion of the mural, but at the end of the day maybe it isn’t for me to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment