Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mix in a word every now and then..


What was most difficult for me to accomplish this week may seem extremely trivial to some people. The hardest thing I had to do was go up to my CSC teacher and ask him to change my grade upon the grounds that my work was completed on time and fully. Ironic though isn’t it asking for credit that you deserve, but having a difficult time asking for it. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been the type of person who tries to please everyone to the best of my ability. Even if it means I may lose every now and then in some sense.
            I think an excellent example of this was this summer when I worked at a construction company for an internship. My job was pretty basic and was simply to do what I was told. Sometimes I would have to pick up around the jobsite and at this time I was still heavily recovering from my UCL (Ulnar Collateral Ligament) reconstruction. Even though I was well aware that I couldn’t pick up objects that were heavy at the time it never really crossed my mind to tell someone that I couldn’t do it. I sometimes feel a normal person would immediately confront the problem and tell the person “no” I can’t do that. In my mind though, I feel like I’m letting someone down in a sense. Even though that isn’t the case I still feel that way from time to time.
            I was very proud of myself going up to my teacher and at least inquiring about the grade. Normally I probably would have just taken the grade and that would have been it. I thought though that since progress reports were going to be delivered my coach soon, it would be in my best interest to at least see what my teacher could do for me. Lone behold, it doesn’t hurt to get up and say something on your behalf from time to time. My grade ended up being changed and I now have a much higher mark in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment