Monday, September 17, 2012

"We must execute" -SCSU Third Base Dugout


I think the best tip we have gone over in class so far is working towards being successful. Chapter three pretty much defines success as having an underlying meaning of generating goals to accomplish. I’m personally a huge fan of goals and have been for pretty much my whole life. They are a great way to motivate yourself to accomplish tasks that you know you can meet, but at the same time strive for what you may think is impossible. My favorite goals are honestly the ones you aren’t sure you can attain. There is a sort of skepticism that lingers in the back of your mind that almost shadows your ability to be a believer in a goal you have. I think that gives you even more drive to execute what you believe in.
            I think the best way to meet personal goals is to be organized and to have a plan of attack. You need to know going into a goal that it isn’t going to be easy, it will take time and work to bring together. Nothing is going to happen overnight so you need to schedule your time appropriately and make sure there is time allotted every day towards achieving your goal.
            When I try to accomplish goals related to baseball it is really all about knuckling down and grinding out the at bats, sprints, gym time, and off day workouts. The motivation lies in all the work I put in for the end product. For academics my goals really lie in what I was brought up learning from my parents. My dad always says to me, “I am better of than my father, you will be better off than me.” That remark has always stuck with me and I’ve never really been sure what to think of it. I love my father a lot and want to be like him embodying the values he has and his work ethic. I feel like I’ve done a somewhat decent job so far and my goal of being successful lies within that simple statement.

            I think the tip so far that I don’t think has an extreme value to me is time management. I went to a prep school for high school and really learned what it means to have ten to twenty hours of homework a week. I understand the value of time and how to space it out in order to get all my work done. I boarded at my school so I didn’t have my parents there to tell me to sit down and do my work or constantly tell me that I’m not doing well enough. It was my responsibility to make sure all my work was completed on time and to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment