Sunday, September 2, 2012


College to me has been something that I’ve dreamed of ever since I was thirteen years old. I grew up with a dad who loved the sport of baseball, as did I. Every time we drove to games, he always said that if I worked hard enough I could play in college. I think that is the earliest point in my life that I had even thought of college. At that point I was so young I pictured myself playing baseball and more or less forgot about the school part. Growing up though I’ve still always had the dream of playing college baseball, but the way I view college has drastically changed from when I was thirteen. I’ve come to college now with every intention of fulfilling my childhood dream of being an exceptional college baseball player, but also being academically fundamental. With my goal of being a college baseball player accomplished, I look now to possibly be drafted in the future. The thought of being drafted often consumes me, but In the back of my mind I want more out of my college experience. I’ve always wanted to be surrounded by other baseball players who share the same love of the game as me.
            My teammates have been my pride and joy since coming to SCSU for only a week and a half. We have already shared some pretty good laughs and experienced a lot in such little time together. The social dynamic of being with the team has really changed the way I approach people becoming a more outgoing person.
            Academically I want to flourish at SCSU, even thought I have dreams of being drafted, I really want to pursue a career that I am proud of. This past year I sat down with my parents and came to the conclusion that I wanted to work in a medical field. More importantly, I want to work with athletes and better them on their playing field. I had a fairly traumatic experience where my Ulnar collateral ligament popped this past spring. It required Ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction to solve, better known as Tommy John Surgery. After the surgery I was referred to a sports medicine clinic where I received physical therapy for the summer. It was there I decided that I want to work in sports medicine, having the opportunity to work with the athletes’ hands on. I want to be academically sound at Southern with a degree in Exercise Science to further my education at a graduate school and become a certified sports medicine physical therapist.

1 comment:

  1. i really like how baseball has had such an impact on your life and also on your college career. It is also good how you took the traumatic experience of being injured and instead saw it as an opportunity to get involved with exercise science. I hope you succeed and become certified.

    ReplyDelete