Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tommy John Journey


            I think the most difficult thing I’ve had to face in my life to date is when my doctor told me I had stretched my Ulnar Collateral Ligament. He didn’t really say it in those words though, the first words that came out of his mouth upon looking at my MRI were, “sorry.” I knew right then and there that something was seriously wrong if an orthopedic surgeon walks into your appointment saying sorry. A lot of things raced through my mind at that time. Am I ever going to be able to play again? Can I ask for conservative treatment? Will this require surgery? I really did get caught up in the moment, all of a sudden really dark thoughts started to enter my mind. I became entrapped by my injury, only thinking about the negative things. Little did I know though the surgery that I had on May 4th would change my life forever. I had the chance to train harder and develop skill sets by training my body in ways I never imagined during physical therapy. The therapists honestly changed the way I view protecting my arm and strengthening it in a healthy and positive manner. Most times you don’t get second chances to learn things like that and better yourself. I took a few steps back to take a couple leaps forward.

            I think this event happening in my life is a great metaphor for a section in chapter three called, “Converting Setbacks Into Comebacks” (70). During college you are going to have a lot of setbacks. Whether it is academically, socially, or athletically. The trick is though is not to dwell on the setbacks. I believe though it is good to reflect on the setback and come to an understanding with what you did wrong. If you didn’t do that you would never learn from your mistakes. Once you have done that though, it is time to let it go and move on. Be that ambitious person and look for that “second chance.” Even though it may not be a literal second chance, you can still make the best out of any situation moving forward. I took my surgery as a chance to become better than I was before having the surgery. In college you need to look through that same lens and work to become better instead of beating yourself down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment