Monday, September 10, 2012

Dat Determination Doe'


I really liked chapter three in Thriving In College & Beyond. The whole chapter is basically dedicated to the idea of goals and their effect on the desired outcomes people crave. It’s hard to say, but I’d like to think most people in the world want to be successful both in the present and their future. I know I do… Most of my life has been goal oriented. I am always trying to better myself every day whether it is athletically or academically. I am always looking for an edge to better my performance in everything I try to accomplish. One major reason for the success that I’ve had thus far is because I set goals for myself both in the short term and the long term.
            A major long-term goal I’ve had for the past two years was to run a sub seven sixty-yard dash. It was an extremely ambitious goal because anyone who knows anything about sprinting understands it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to shave even a tenth of a second off your time. I can stand here today though acknowledging I ran a six and nine tenths sixty this summer. A lot of sweat and determination really brought me to where I wanted to be.

            A lot of my short-term goals though are related to my schoolwork. I am always making mental notes of when I need to get things done and by when. If it weren’t for my ability to set goals for myself to get schoolwork done, I would have literally zero drive to complete everything. I think a lot of my goals though for schoolwork right now are not only driven by being successful in college, but also to make my coach proud that I can give a hundred percent both on the field and in the classroom.
            My favorite part of the reading overall was the section on integrity and its pivotal role in being a goal-oriented person. A goal is self-driven and the course of how the goal is accomplish lies solely on the person who brought the goal to life. You can’t accomplish a goal if you don’t have any self-intuition of what you want as an individual. If you simply just go with the flow you let other dictate how fast you can accomplish a goal, you need to work with a sense of clairvoyance and picture yourself at the desired outcome on your own terms. The book says it best saying, “They (college students) don’t look to together people to determine their own values, and they don’t conform to the norm if the norm is wrong; instead, they look inward and let their conscience be their guide” (74).


No comments:

Post a Comment