Sunday, December 2, 2012

A little help can't hurt


For this weeks campus safari I decided to make a visit to the writing center. For our anthropology class we will have to write an essay for our final based on a point of view we have towards whether Black American English exists as a separate language or is it just apart Standard American English. I have a pretty good grade in the class and would like to keep it that way so I thought I would ask the writing center about something that I struggle with. I write thesis statements well, but I struggle with placing the thesis statement at the end of my introductory paragraph where it should lie. Instead I always begin with my thesis statement, which you really shouldn’t do, but is acceptable. The tips that I received were actually very helpful. I think the one that stuck out to me most was taking all my premises and describing them in brief detail to give the reader a general idea about what my stance is on the subject and where the paper is actually going. Once I have done that, I can express my position on the topic at hand. My introductory paragraph actually looks very good and is in basically the reverse order or what I would normally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment