Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Troubling Realities


I did activity four on page thirty-two which addresses going a week without someone that you value. Since I don’t have a week, I decided to just go twenty-four hours without the object. I decided to go without my I Pod for a day. This may seem trifling to some people, but to me it was actually a big deal. I usually always have my I Pod with me because it gives me a sense of well-being and enjoyment in whatever activities I have throughout the day. I listen to my I Pod walking to class, on car rides, doing homework, workouts, running, even before I go to sleep. Without my I pod, I almost feel as if I’m missing a piece of me.
            I found that throughout the day I was much more social. I walked with several of my teammates to classes that morning and had a conversation with them. It encouraged me to ask more questions that involved doing everyday things I normally do alone like eating at CONN or walking to Moore field house for skills practice and lift with others. I found that I enjoyed doing the little things during the day a lot more with people around me rather than just going alone.
            While at Millbrook I rarely used my I pod except for workouts and when I came to Southern, I began to rely on it. I’m not entirely sure why, but I think it has to do with the fact that I moved to a new school, meeting new people, and starting something new as a whole. My I pod may be acting like a crutch at the moment until I can begin standing on my own two feet socially. It’s tough having realizations like this because they become concerning and you want to repair what damage has been done as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment